SEARCH
LOG IN TO OFFICE 365
History

The Guagua National Institute was the brainchild of Rev. Fr. Nicanor M. Banzali, former parish priest of Guagua, Pampanga. In 1918, he conceived the idea of founding an education institution to inculcate faith in God, search for knowledge and love of country in the minds of the youth, and to satisfy the educational needs of his parishioners, especially those of the poor. Then, only one elementary school existed in each town. Accordingly, with the encouragement and approval of His Grace, Monsignor Michael O'Doherty, Archbishop of Manila and the generous cooperation and support of handful of civic-spirited residents of the town, the Guagua National Institute started to operate on June 18, 1918, with the opening of classes in the primary grades. Classes were held at the old Guagua Catholic Convent.

Its founder and sympathizers did not dream at that time of establishing a university, nor even a high school. Before the school year 1918-1919 came to a close, the Secretary of Public Instruction, the Hon. Charles E. Yeater, authorized the school to offer the complete elementary course with an average size of 35 pupils in each grade. Mrs. Feliza D. Goseco was installed as its first Elementary School Principal.

 

During the school year 1919-1920, the high school department was opened with 32 students enrolled in the first year. The following year, there were only 16 students enrolled in the second year. In 1922, the third year class had only four students and as expected, the opening of the fourth year class was deferred for the following year because only three students actually enrolled. In 1924, fourth year class was opened with nine students.

 

The Guagua National Institute was granted government recognition by the Hon. E. A. Gilmore, the Secretary of Public Education, on March 17, 1925 to offer complete secondary course.

 

In 1932, following the transfer of Father Banzali to a new parish in Arayat, the school moved from the premises of the Guagua Catholic church to a temporary site, which was a residential house in barrio San Roque. However, due to the inadequacies of the place to meet the rigid requirements for schools, the Guagua National Institute has to be transferred to a bigger site infront of the national road in San Nicolas. On February 16, 1942, the three buildings were razed to the ground by a fire that enveloped important sections of the town of Guagua. A steady increase in its enrolment, both in the elementary and in the high school department, made it imperative to build two additional buildings. Between 1942 and 1946, classes were interrupted by World War II.

 

During the school year 1939-1940, it gained government permission to offer first year subjects in Junior Normal and Associate in Arts. During the school year 1941-1942, the Guagua National Institute had a total enrolment of 1,500 student from elementary, secondary and first year collegiate department

 

On January 1, 1946, the Guagua National Institute was able to acquire ownership of its present site in barrio Sta. Filomena and started putting up its buildings one after the other.

HEADLINES
Guagua On Its 421st Year
By Alexandra Thea Jara "Sigua, Sagwan, Singkad... Wawa (Turmoil, Journey, Glory... Guagua!)" was the theme for the 421st Guagua Town Festival which was held on November 28 up to December 8, 2011. Series of events took place during the c....
All Hail for the GNCian Powerlifters!
By Michelle Anne M. Rivera The elite lifters of Guagua National Colleges bagged some gold and silver medals in the National 5 in 1 Luzon, Class B, Interschool, Novice and Special Athletes Powerlifting Championship last January 28-29, 2012 ....
GNC Night Stuns Guagua
By Justine Paul Tengco GUAGUA, Pampanga - On December 6, 2011, the Guagua National Colleges in coordination with the Municipality of Guagua, showcased different flairs in the GNC Night. This was held for the town's feast day. The GNC Sodali....
GNC Steps Up Through e-Learning
By Roneil P. Santos As part of the celebration of the GNC Foundation Anniversary, the 94thGNC Foundation Executive Committee sponsored the 4th lecture series themed as "Enriching Classroom Instruction Through e-Learning" which was held at the....
GNC Shows Some Love
By Niña Dianne S. Yuzon Christmas season was deeply felt as the Office of the Student Affairs (OSA) stepped up to organize a relief effort for the victims of typhoon Sendong in the Philippines by asking for donations from all the ....
>>more
EVENTS
GNC Celebrates RVP's Day
By Justine Paul Tengco On January 20, 2012, the GNC family celebrated the birthday of the school's president, Atty. Ricardo V. Puno Jr. at the GNC Covered Courts. The thanksgiving mass was solemnised by Rev. Fr. Francisco Mendoza whi...
GNC Clubs Reach Out
By Roneil P. Santos The Office of the Students Affairs (OSA) together with the different club presidents and other volunteers organized a gift giving program entitled "Pamaskong Handong ng GNC Clubs" on December 23, 2011. The clubs gave No...
NSTP Gives Back
By Roneil P. Santos In the spirit of the Yuletide Season, a Gift Giving program was initiated by the NSTP professor and students in coordination with the Office of the Students Affairs (OSA) at the GNC covered courts on December 23, 2011 at 9...
The Capping Of The Last Batch Of Student Nurses
by Ian Brylle Nicdao"Today My Life Begins". It is truly the beginning for the nine 2nd-year Nursing students of the Academic Year 2011-2012 in the 5th Capping and Candle Lighting Ceremony.Amidst the rain brought by the typhoon Juaning, the College of...
SCA Pampanga Initiates Orientation
by Darren V. DabuThe members of GNC's Student Catholic Action (SCA) gathered together on August 05, 2011 at the GNC Auditorium for the organization's orientation.Mr. Michael Flores was the guest speaker of the said event. He is the archdiocesan of SC...
>>more

Home Edmodo Bid Guestbook Poll Alumni Site Map Downloads
GNC Portal